Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday March 6, 2008

THE BABIES HAVE ARRIVED!!!

What a story! There's always two side to every story but with me doing all the posting you will get my side... Sorry as Melissa's is pretty good also...

Melissa called me yesterday afternoon at about 4:20. Her tone was a little stressed and she asked if I was, by chance, in Burley. I was in the parking lot of our Burley Office and knew that I needed to head towards Boise. She thought that her water had broke and upon completing a call to Dr. Lee's office she was told to head towards the hospital, and now!

I ran home, gathered my bags and hit the interstate. Mary called me about the time I was getting to Jerome and told me that they were about 10 minutes away from the hospital, Melissa's contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, and that it appeared the babies were on their way. I started making the appropriate calls to family to get them in route also. I was flying pretty low to the ground in my "White Jet" and just knew that I would make it just in time to see the babies.

Mary called me once again about the time I was getting to the Bliss area and while we were talking I could over hear someone saying, in a loud controlled manner, "I have Melissa Draper here... She is completely e-faced and at 5 cm... Well you had better hurry as these babies aren't going to wait for you!!!" Mary tried to explain to me the situation as the nurse was trying to get people to hurry. I finally told Mary that I did not think that I was going to make it in time . I then was told that we would have babies within the half hour... I was at least 45 minutes away... I WAS BUMMED!!!

I proceeded to hit the afterburner's on the "White Jet" in a final attempt to be as close as I could. Thank heavens Melissa was in Mary's good hands as Mary was about to see a "C" Section from the spectator seat for the first time and did not have to be directly involved.

For those of you that know the road to Boise, it was as I was dropping down the small hill just before the Port of Entry that I felt it. As I had been driving from Burley I was pushing the speed limit just a little and was pretty much on edge. I had been pushing my blood pressure higher by the minute as I would scan the horizon for any Black and White ISP cars. My head felt as though it was going to explode from the intense pressure that continued to build... I started down that small hill at mach one and felt the absolute most calming feeling completely envelope me. I almost melted into the seat as I knew then and there that I had new family members waiting for me in Boise. I knew that all was well and that I just needed to get there.

Mary once again called me about the time I was passing the BSU Stadium, within blocks of the hospital. Mary said, "Congratulations Daddy, all are here and accounted for." She then put Melissa on the phone as she had to know for herself that I was almost there.

I parked the "White Jet" and headed for the Second Floor of the hospital. I was met by a nurse and was swept away to the Operating Room that held my wife. I was able to look through the door and recognize Mary's familiar eyes as she was looking like quite the Doctor in her scrubs, hair net, and mask. Once I gave Mary a thumbs up and that I was O.K. the nurse then took me to see the babies...

In the NICU it was poetry in motion. There were so many people tending to babies but yet they made complete sense of the chaos that seemed to envelope the two rooms. Baby "B" and Baby "C" were contained in one room and Baby "A" in an adjoining room. I stood there in complete awe at the sight. Next it was time to meet our new additions.

Baby "B", or Breagan Scott Draper, was born at 3 lbs. 1 oz. and was 16 inches long. Baby "C", or Carmen Dawn Draper, was born at 1 lbs. 15.5 oz and was 13 inches long. Baby "A", or Ayden Scott Draper, was born at 3 lbs. 13 oz. and was 15 3/4 inches long. The boys were immediately put onto ventilators for breathing purposes. Carmen was put on a type of nasal canula as she appeared to be doing great in letting everyone know that she was pretty upset at the whole situation. Breagan did not like the vent and proceeded to take the tube out himself. He appeared to be doing better and was put on a similar contraption as his sister. Ayden continued on the vent until about 9 P.M. tonight when it was removed and he is now like his siblings.

Ayden, Breagan, and Carmen are doing GREAT!!! It almost scares me as to how great they are doing as I do not want to hear any bad news. The kids were born at 31 weeks 5 days. Ayden ultimately made the decision for everyone in the sense that he broke his bag and was proceeding to be born naturally. The doctors literally had to pull him from the birthing canal during the C Section. Carmen got a little excited during the process and proceeded to be born next as she pushed Breagan aside. Breagan was the last to exit his mother.

Melissa had a tough time last night after giving birth. Her blood pressure proceeded to sky rocket and was put on Magnesium to get it back under control. She was not happy about this but it was a smaller dose than before and was to be quite temporary. Because of the Magnesium she was completely confined to the bed until she could get off it. This made it so that she could not see the babies last night. She only saw Ayden at the time of their birth. This worried Melissa and I am sure added to the sky rocketing of her blood pressure.

Melissa was released from the bonds of the Magnesium this morning about 11. She and I was able to make our first trek to the NICU together around noon. It proved to be a touching moment as mother and babies were reunited. We were able to make another trip tonight just before getting Melissa to bed.

You would not believe these babies! They are so cute. Their little voices would just melt your heart! I will get some pictures on here as soon I can go through the 100 pictures that I already have of them. Do not let the amount of leads, hoses, and things hanging off these babies bother you as there are all precautionary. There nothing wrong with these babies yet that we know of. They are healthy. Carmen, even though she is the smallest, is outdoing her brothers in a physical sense. Each of the nurses thus far have commented on how feisty she is. She is truly a fighter and is proving it.... Once again, a true testament to the power of prayer from friends and family... thank you once again for everything.... It is only because of you....

So basically everything is good thus far. I will get some pictures going and do a better job to keep everyone informed.

3 comments:

Will's family said...

Congratulations and God's blessings on your little ones. We can't wait to get home and be introduced to them. I have already seen pictures of them. They are so precious. I'm so happy that everything is going great. Kiss you sweet family for us. Our prayers continue for all of you.
Love you lots
Terri, Will, and Tom Harbison

The Pickerings said...

CONGRATULATIONS DRAPER FAMILY. We are so happy they have arrived and are doing so GREAT..We hope Melissa starts to feel better soon. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the little ones. Scottie give them all a kiss for me and their big sister too!!

Love the Pickerings

Andrea said...

The wait is over! Congratulations! We are so happy for all of you. The babies are all adorable and I love their names. We will continue to pray for you all to come home soon.
Love,
The Darringtons