Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday March 8, 2008

Yesterday was a pretty big day for the babies. Ayden, within about 12 hours was able to have his vent removed, graduated to the c-pap, and then onto a regular nasal canula. He appears to be doing great at room air. It was great to hear him cry for the first time. The nurses have even commented on how Ayden was so submissive at first but is definitely showing signs of perking up and showing a little aggressiveness as they do their tests. Melissa was able to hold Ayden for about a half hour. It was a pretty special time for the two of them.

Breagan is the only baby at this time that does not have a PICC line. He is showing a lot of facial expressions. Breagan was able to be held by his mother, father, and Grandma Kathy. Today, however, will be a little tougher on him as he will get his PICC line.

Carmen received her PICC line yesterday and started to some some signs of Jaundice. She was pretty much out of it for the day but it really was a pretty funny sight. She looked like she was just stretched out, with her sun shades on, enjoying some succulent rays under the UV Lights. She has been showing some signs of being apnic as she will breath for a while and then hold her breath causing her little alarms to go off. There was a little talk of putting her back on the c-pap for a little while. We will see what they have decided when Melissa and I go to visit the kids again.

Melissa will be staying in the hospital for another night. Her blood pressure has spiked again and they would like to see it regulated with some oral meds before releasing her. A funny story, without getting too personal, about Melissa (It is Melissa approved also) : Last night as I getting ready to take my sister and brother-in-law to the NICU to see the babies, Melissa and I thought it would be a good time to set her up to pump. We were a little unsure as to how she was going to do it with both her hands being busy but no better time than now to learn. I got her all hooked up and on we went. A little while after we had left the nurses assistant came into the room and asked Melissa if she could give the assistant one of her arms for a blood pressure reading. Melissa just looked at her in amazement and said, "Sorry, I am a little busy right now." The assistant was a little perturbed and left. People are funny...


Melissa holding Ayden. She did not share but I cold not blame her either. He was perfectly content with his mother holding him and looked very comfortable.











Melissa holding Breagan. The eyes say it all! He was pretty content with his mother.













This is little Carmen. You can see her PICC line in her right arm. This is just before the she was put under the UV lights. As I left her last night her little "chicken" legs were up and over the bottom edge and her arms were above her head. She just looked so comfortable "catching some rays!"

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations to you all! The babies are beautiful and they look fantastic. We're praying that they continue to improve and get bigger fast. Your story brings back such memories. That being the case, I have a few words of advice. Take care of yourself, Melissa. You've been through an extraordinary experience and it will take some time to recover. Just know that your babies are in excellent hands and they will benefit most from a calm, sane, well-rested Mommy and Daddy (O.K. so this might be difficult but do your best :)). Soon they'll be home and keeping you very busy so take advantage of all of the awesome help from nurses. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures. We're anxious to hear all about their progress and their personalities. Call anytime if you have questions.
Love,
Melanie

Unknown said...

nurs51Dear Draper Family, What an extraordinary and blessed event you both have been through !The 3 are beautiful! Each baby is a miracle in my eyes ,but just to see how medicine has advanced since I was a nurse in the 70's ( military & civilian)--is amazing !!!! I ditto some of Melanie's comments and would like to leave you with the following: the Lord's blessings of health, strength, and happiness for the new mom,dad, and babies a---n--d: one of my own fave quotes --"Happiness is something to do ( taking care of the Lord's gifts to you)--something or someone to love ( this feeling will be eternal and keep you young ),--and something to hope for ( hope in a mother's or father's heart that all will be well if we do all the good we can so our children's future will contain true happiness )". Looking forward to seeing you soon. Our prayers are with you ! LOL, Ursula B.

Anonymous said...

I just had to check the blog before I went to bed!! Thanks for sharing pictures with us, I'ts so great to see them and to see you Melissa! We are so happy for ALL of you. You will continue to ge in our prayers. We love you guys!
VickieP.S. I have to keep using "Anonymous" because I can't remember my password!!!

Mindy Lou said...

The pictures are soooo awesome! The babies love their mommy already. I can't wait to meet them (blasted cold season...)

You two are so strong and are great parents. Tell Taylor that Aunt Mindy is proud of her being such a good big sister. We love you all and are praying for all six of you! :D (SIX!!! Last week there were only three of you... LOL)