We’ve known the babies would be discharged at different times. Having being told that we might have both boys discharged together was exhilarating news. It would be tough going back and forth from the Ronald McDonald House to the hospital but we’d make it work. Well, due to RSV season Taylor has been unable to see her siblings. Now, we are told that if one or two babies are discharged we cannot have Taylor around them at all. If the babies were to be around a child they could not be brought back into the NICU with me. This causes a major hardship for us.
As a mother my heart is broken because I cannot be with Taylor. I/We have to choose between our children. It has been so long and difficult for Taylor being away from home and from one of her parents. She’s been in Burley with Scott the last couple of days and she been so excited to see me again. That’s what she’s talked about since the moment she left. Scott and I are heartbroken to tell her that she won’t be seeing her mother or siblings like she’s been planning on. I’m sitting here crying as I write this because I know how disappointed she will be when the news is broken to her. I can’t imagine the hurt this may cause her. It has been very difficult for her and confusing during the last three months. I will have to stop writing about it or I may break the laptop from my tears.
Breagan will possibly be the first to be discharged. We are planning on (remember this entire plan is tentative and can change at moment’s notice) “rooming in” tomorrow night. Ayden’s hernia surgery will probably happen sooner than later. Both boys did not pass their car seat test so that could change the plan as well. Carmen is weeks away from her discharge. However, the best news of the day is that she is out of her isolet! She is now back between her two brothers in a crib!
We were also getting ready to move to a room with a “view”. But, it’s not going to happen either. We are going to stay where we’ve been since they were born. It has been a very busy day with so much going on that it’s hard to make sense of everything. We’re planning on “rooming in” with Breagan tomorrow and possible discharge for him Friday or Saturday. Ayden’s discharge date is unknown due to the flunked car seat test and his hernia. Carmen is eating more by mouth and that is progress towards getting her feeding tube out. Her big test now is making sure she maintains body temperature and not lose any weight. If either of those happens she will go back to an isolet.
I’m trying to focus on the great news that Breagan (and possibly Ayden) will be coming out of the NICU soon. I’m also trying to focus on the great news that Carmen has progressed to an open crib. My heart aches for Taylor but I’m trying to be positive; right now it’s just difficult. I’m grateful for our families, and for my mom & sisters who have really been there for Taylor. Scott and I couldn’t have done it without their help. Check out the great picture of all three babies together again. It is a wonderful, wonderful sight!
7 comments:
Hi Melissa! The news about babies coming home soon is both wonderful and challenging. The next few weeks may be a little tricky, but I promise Heavenly Father and your wonderful family and friends will help pull you through. Try to take things one hour at a time (I know, easier said than done) and know that Heavenly Father has a plan for your situation. Who knows, maybe flunking (I hated it when they said my babies "flunked"-not my perfect children!!!) the car seat test is a blessing. It keeps them all in one place longer and makes life a little easier for you. Anyway, take care of yourself and hang in there. You're doing an awesome job!!!
Love,
Melanie
Melissa I am so sorry for everything you are having to deal with. It's so hard making difficult decisions regarding our children. Just know that Heavenly Father does indeed have a plan for you and he will not give you more than you can handle. I would be more than happy to watch Taylor while Scott is at work. If you need anything please let me know. I would love to help in any way. We love you and your wonderful family and wish you guys all the best. Take care - we will continue to keep praying for your family. The babies are so cute and look so good. You are an amazing mom and you will make the best decisions for your family.
Love,
Shantelle :)
Hey Melissa! The babies look GREAT!! How exciting to have them all together in a crib. I can't believe how many tough decisions that you have to face. I know that you will do what is best for your family. You and Scott are the best parents and your children are soooo lucky to have you as their mom and dad. Taylor is a very brilliant little girl. She may be a little disappointed, but I truelly think that she will understand. If we can help in any way, please let us know! I have an appointment for Sophie in Boise on the 16th. So if you need anything from home, we would be happy to taxi it to you! You are in our thoughts, hearts and prayers! Your getting so close to your goal to come home! Hang in there.
Love,
Andrea
Dear Melissa,
Hey sister Parish here again. I am soooo sorry for the decisions you have to make i cried right along with you I almost couldn't write to you. But I want you to know I will help anyway I can. My cell # is 208-312-0274. Also Taylor is so smart, even though this is tough on her she wouldn't want to risk getting them sick.Hang in there and remember "and this too shall pass" and it will. All my love Lori
Hello Drapers,
Keep the faith and all will be great in the end. It will be a challenge for a few weeks but in the end all of your wonderful family will be together at home safe and sound. You know if you need anything just give us a ring and we will be there in a heart beat. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Give all the little ones kisses and hugs for us.
Love,
The Pickerings
Scott and Melissa
My heart breaks for you when I read about your having to chose between your kids. I have been in that position, and it is a tough spot to be in. We are praying that God gives you all the strength to get through this, and that soon you will be a happy, healthy family together! Jen (Lutz)
Scott & Melissa,
Hi and congratulations! Your babies are beautiful.
You do not know me, but we have heard about your triplet journey from several people. We have triplets that are 15 1/2 months old and we live in Paul. In January last year, two of our babies were released from the hospital 3 weeks earlier than our third baby. I can relate to your post about making choices and being torn. It is so very difficult. If you will be staying at Ronald McDonald with the two babies please contact me. I've been there and would like to share some advice about how to make that transition easier for yourself.
You may e-mail at your convenience at alimae@pmt.org.
Best wishes,
Alice Higgins
Post a Comment